Manufacture Your Day by VALUING YOURSELF
Isn’t this a bummer?
Think about this for a moment: If you don’t value yourself, how can others value you?
About one year ago I had the pleasure of meeting a young lady who just recently immigrated to Canada. I like to meet new people, and especially immigrants. Being one myself I know how much drive you must have to do well in this country. In the end of the day, nothing is given for free and people who want to make it, have to put in the work.
I was really impressed. She spoke very well English and she was very personable, but what stood out most was her self-confidence and how she approached her job search.
She has worked for some really great companies in the past and her job search is far from desperation to find a job.
Here is what I have learned from our conversation:
- Stress Management: She took on a new hobby by starting to run (that’s great to shift focus and to stay positive)
- Attitude: She had positive energy and a very professional approach (first impressions count)
- Drive: She wasn’t driven by fear, she was driven by desire (maybe she is aware but maybe she isn’t)
- Open-mindedness: Open to all kinds of networking opportunities (like the one with me)
- Strategy: Researched companies but most of all their corporate culture (evaluates if the company is a good fit for her)
- Mindfulness: Observed people when she went to an job interview (how they interact with each other)
- Gratefulness: Enjoyed all the new possibilities in a new but also safe country (gratefulness makes you feel good)
- Self-Leadership: She is in control because she takes the time to select the right company for her and not the other way around (amazing, isn’t it?)
Knowing what you want and how you can add value to people and organizations is a game changer.
In conclusion, she values herself and what she has to offer, and that’s how it should be.
If you don’t have a job at the moment or if you are not happy in your current job, please know that in order to change something in your life, you have to make different choices.
This young lady will go far in her life, and she will do it with grace and a smile. High five young lady!
Food for Thought:
What do you think, how can you apply these insights to your life?
Take the time to read this article: