Manufacture Your Day by TAKING A DEEP BREATH
Have you ever heard the quote, “It’s not stress that kills us, it’s our reaction to it.”
Isn’t this so true?
Sometimes I think that people create habitual patterns of telling others how stressed they are. They associate stress with negative situations in their life but that’s not necessarily true. Stress can also be good for us.
There are two kinds of stress and I encourage you to think about the difference.
1) Eustress, or positive stress, has the following characteristics:
- Motivates, focuses energy.
- Is short-term.
- Is perceived as within our coping abilities.
- Feels exciting.
- Improves performance.
A few examples: Marriage, Promotion, Raise, Having a Child, Vacation, Retirement
2) Distress, or negative stress, has the following characteristics:
- Causes anxiety or concern.
- Can be short- or long-term.
- Is perceived as outside of our coping abilities.
- Feels unpleasant.
- Decreases performance.
- Can lead to mental and physical problems.
A few examples: Divorce, Job Loss, Trouble Sleeping, Unemployment, Money Problems, Death of a Loved One;
There are times when we have to deal with difficult situations and we should be mentally prepared for these times.
Your mind is trying to drive you nuts if you don’t know what to do about it. Control your mind or it will control you.
If times seem to be super stressful for you….
- Remove yourself from the situation for a little while
- Identify your stress triggers
- Take a deep breath – inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale…
- Go for a short walk in nature
- Remind yourself that everything is going to be o.k.
Accept yourself and where you are at when it comes to stress management.
Keep calm. You will get a little bit better each day.