Manufacture Your Day by STOP BEING A SOLDIER
Today I would like to share one of my observations.
There are too many people in our manufacturing companies who act like soldiers. I see them at all levels of the organization. When the boss gives an order, they follow, no questions asked (or thinking they have no other choice).
Wait a minute….. Shouldn’t this be a good thing?
No it isn’t. Nobody should want to be surrounded by soldiers. If you are the boss, you definitely want people who challenge the status quo and bring you new and innovative ideas.
To be effective in the corporate world, it serves you well to stop being a soldier and learn to influence people instead. You must also be able to influence your boss if it is in the best interest of the company. Never lose your drive to make a difference!
I definitely look forward to the day when I will meet more influencers than soldiers in the near future.
Many people want to influence others but they go about it the wrong way. They want people to listen to them and their ideas by showing them all the facts and figures, and then they get frustrated when it doesn’t work.
A more meaningful strategy is to listen first and have a sincere interest in the other person.
In order to be a better influencer you have to
- be likeable – your attitude and your energy matters (it matters a lot)
- think good thoughts – if you dislike the person and/or don’t value what he/she brings to the table, you won’t be able to influence
- build trust – people will start trusting you if you put effort into understanding them and their challenges
- listen to understand the other person’s greatest desires and deepest fears
- be aware of your body language (keep your arms uncrossed and your torso open and pointed at the person)
- be strategic in your approach – what will it take to win a person over?
- become recognized as an expert in your field
- help people to get what they want in order to get what you want
If you have a soldier mentality, it is never too late to change.
Food for Thought:
What will it take to become a person of influence? And YES, you can.
I encourage you to read the following entrepreneur article: