Manufacture Your Day by SETTING GOALS
Why do not more people set goals?
Fear of failure, fear of success, complacency, laziness, low self-confidence, no idea how to set goals but the main reason probably is that they never take the time to think about it. They live life in the passenger seat and see what the next day will bring.
Just recently I had a conversation about this with a friend. She said, “Karin, not everyone is like you. Some people don’t need a goal. They are happy and content without setting goals.”
I disagree. Most people are simply not aware. Living a happy and fulfilled life never came from living in the comfort zone.
Early on I lived my life without setting goals and I felt that I had no control over the course of my life. Today I beg to differ.
When I started to run races I discovered the power of setting goals, and eventually I set them in different areas of my life – health, fitness, love, family, career, self-improvement and finances.
I wasn’t always able to accomplish my goals right away. That’s when I learned that effort and goals go hand in hand. If we don’t accomplish a goal right away, it isn’t failure. It is an awesome opportunity to improve.
In the end of the day it isn’t about the goal. It is about the person you become in the process (goal-oriented, committed, dedicated, focused, courageous).
Today I would like to encourage you:
- Start setting goals (in your personal and professional life) – it will increase your zest for life – character goals, behaviour goals, attitude goals, material goals, athletic goals, health goals, relationship goals, vacation goals, etc.
- Make them SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and time-bound)
- Make an action plan – how will you get started? What’s the plan?
- Always do your best – if you don’t achieve them at first, work harder
- Be committed and put in the work
- Keep in mind – you can have excuses or your can have results, you can’t have both
As for me, I intend to continue to do the best I can for my family, for my clients, for my health and my well-being. How about we strive together to become the best we can be?
If you are a goal-setter, you will become a go-getter.
Food for Thought:
Have you ever been truly serious about setting goals in your personal life?
Please read the following article: