Manufacture Your Day by LOOKING TO GIVE AND RECEIVE ONGOING FEEDBACK
Ongoing feedback is critical for self-improvement. If you don’t listen to me, you may listen to Bill Gates. 🙂
How else can you learn and grow on the job?
If you learn to provide feedback without being judgmental (being aware is the first step), you can truly help people to get to the next level.
Feedback is there for 2 reasons:
- Help people to improve
- Reinforce positive attitudes and behaviours that you would like them to continue (most of the time overlooked)
Nobody wants to get criticized but most people appreciate help on how to get better.
Here is a simple constructive feedback process that works:
- Tell the person what he/she is doing well (be specific)
- Bring yourself in a state of wanting to help the person (non-judgmental, non-critizicing)
- Ask “Can I give you a success tip that will help you to do even better?” or “Can give you one of my thoughts?” (find your own wording)
- If you………., it will help you (it will benefit you, it will be good for the team/family,etc.)…… because……
This process works at home with your spouse and children as well.
Be gracious and receptive if you are on the receiving end.