Manufacture Your Day by LEARNING HOW TO STAND UP FOR YOURSELF
I always have to be strategic how I entitle my posts because people in manufacturing environments are not used to talk about feelings.
First of all, what is the difference between feelings and emotions?
Emotions display how you feel. If I start crying, you know I am sad. If I laugh, you see that I am happy. You can observe anger when people start to yell or when they become aggressive.
Be aware, sometimes people think that they have earned the right (title, seniority or specialized knowledge) to put others down.
- If you are a human being, you have feelings. Period.
- You cannot leave your feelings at home. Who ever came up with that?
- Feelings/emotions can speed up (anger, impatience) or slow down (fear, uncertainty) the decision making process.
- Feelings/emotions play a big part how we deal under stressful situations and how we interact with others.
- You can control how you feel by starting to think different thoughts and/or becoming more self-aware what you give your attention to.
- The fact that you can be in charge of your emotional state doesn’t give others a free pass to treat you poorly or even bully you.
Here are three tips how to stand up for yourself:
- Learn to speak about your feelings: I don’t appreciate how you speak to me. I feel belittled and treated like a child. How does this help the current situation? (this is helpful in your personal and in your professional life)
- Be confident and believe in yourself at all times: Your body language (stand straight) and tone of voice (volume and clarity) matters. Even if you made a mistake, nobody has the right to yell at you. Make sure you learn from it and don’t take verbal attacks personally. It is a sign of poor communication skills.
- No matter at what level you are in the organization, you deserve respect: The awareness of what you deserve and that you have to set your boundaries will help you to shield yourself from disrespectful behaviour.
Now go and practise your assertiveness.
Feelings are part of life. Don’t allow anyone to tell you otherwise.
FOOD FOR THOUGHT:
How is your level of assertiveness? Can you stand up for yourself in a respectful manner?
Please take the opportunity to request more information on the link below:
Please read this Success article: