Manufacture Your Day by EVALUATING YOUR MOOD
Are you in a good mood today? Awesome. Is it because it is Friday, or is it because you know how to be in control of your emotional state?
Let’s talk a little bit about conversational intelligence, shall we?
I know that most of the people who read this blog work in the manufacturing industry.
Chances are that you chose this industry because you
- like to solve problems.
- have an analytical mind.
- enjoy to work hands-on.
- have always been really good in science, technology and/or math.
- had a family member who works in this industry.
- grew up having an interest in engineering.
- it seemed to be the best option at the time.
- are an immigrant who was looking for a well paid job.
However, it could also be that you were like me and you just started to work in a manufacturing company because you got an opportunity to work there.
Whatever the reason was, chances are that if you work in the plant, you didn’t start to work there because you thought you have tremendous communication skills and you should put these to good use.
I get it. This was not what you had in mind.
Did you know that when you are in a leadership position, 80% of your workday is spent on communication?
- Meetings – way too many and often ineffective ones
- Emails – or should I say email overload
- Phone conversations – constant availability adds to the challenge
- “Must do” responsibilities such as delegation, giving or receiving feedback, giving presentations, etc.
- Customer and supplier visits/meetings
This means that your written and spoken word is important, am I right? You can be the smartest cookie in the room but if you can’t get your message across, it can be very frustrating.
Communication is a skill that can be learned like any other skill:
- Work with a coach
- Take a seminar
- Read books on how to become a better communicator
- Join Toastmasters
Here is a thought before the weekend.
Do you think it will affect your communication style when you are angry instead of being calm and collected?
It definitely does and this has an impact on the results you get in your life.
Communication starts in the mind with how you think and feel about another person. That’s the energy you carry in the room with you.
Let me give you a practical example:
If you are afraid of dogs, will a dog feel that you’re afraid? Of course it will. The same is true for people. They can feel your nervous energy, your angry energy or your excited energy.
Your mood and your energy matter. If you are in a good mood, you will have good energy and you carry this energy wherever you go. Your energy is contagious.
If you think good thoughts, it is impossible to feel bad. In other words, focus on feeling good and it will enhance your overall life experience and the relationships with people in your personal and professional life.
Don’t worry, be happy. You deserve it!
Please read this article: