Manufacture Your Day by BECOMING BETTER IN EVERYTHING YOU DO
Can you believe it is Friday again?
Time flies. Week after week goes by and if we don’t strive to get better and more productive at what we do, life can become pretty stressful and frustrating.
When I look back at my very first workshop that I designed, I am amazed that I had the courage to go out and sell it BUT I did. It was far from perfect but I was so passionate and passion sells. I can remember that feeling of excitement when I facilitated this 2-hour workshop. It was designed for machine operators, and I received really good feedback from the participants.
I was happy but I wasn’t satisfied. I wanted to get feedback from people who could provide a different perspective. That’s why I invited 3 different people (2 General Managers and another Corporate Trainer) at 3 different times to observe my workshop in order to receive their feedback. None of them held back and I learned so much. This was the best decision I could have made and I haven’t stopped looking for feedback to continuously improve my work ever since.
You should do the same.
Yesterday I promised to give you the solution on how to cut down on your working hours.
Well, I am European and I don’t believe that working long hours makes you a better employee or produces better results. I actually believe that working long hours demonstrates a lot of inefficiencies in the way people work and interact with each other. They waste time, are poor communicators, make mistakes (because they’re not rested), are not focused (because they try to do 100 things at the same time) and disgruntle many people in the process.
When new people engage with me in the coaching process, most of them want the same. They want the work environment to change, they want management to change and they want their co-workers to change.
Sorry for being blunt but if you want things to get better, you have to get better. If you want others to change, you have to change.
Here are 6 things that are a great start to make you more productive:
- Learn to prioritize and do these things first (even if you don’t like them) – otherwise they zap your energy
- Learn, learn, learn – from what goes right (and why) and learn from what goes wrong (and why)
- Manage your energy wisely (when we get frustrated or upset we waste time)
- Get better at saying “no” by managing your boundaries
- Delegate by having enough trust and patience to teach others (if you think you are the only one who can do the job, think again)
- Make a distraction list and a stress list (if you know what gets you distracted or stressed, then you can do something about it)
I feel sorry for people who work super long hours but at the same time I don’t, especially if they think that things will magically change without them doing anything about it.
Happy Friday! Change starts with YOU! Aren’t you happy that I told you?