Manufacture Your Day by ASPIRING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE
Are you a difference maker?
So many people aspire to make a living but very few aspire to inspire and make a difference in other people’s lives.
A great attitude can be contagious, and greatly affect the performance of others.
Here are some pretty simple examples how you can make a difference at work:
- Say “hello, please and thank you”
- Help someone else
- Listen deeply and with curiosity
- Be positive
- Focus on the opportunity in a problem
- Learn from your mistakes and help others to learn from theirs
- Ask response questions such as Describe, Explain, Tell me about
- Focus more on people than on numbers
- Be a person of integrity
- Shine a light on humanness
- Hire for potential not efficiency
- Appreciate and encourage
Deming used to say, “What is the multiplying factor of a happy employee? What is the multiplying factor of an unhappy employee? Nobody knows. It cannot be measured. That’s why it has no significance.”
Thankfully these days we know that happy employees are more productive employees. Please read this Forbes Article “Promoting Employee Happiness Benefits Everyone”.
Now, here is the thing. If you are someone who would like to be happier in your life, I can tell you what won’t create happiness.
- The house, the car, more stuff
Thoughts such as “I will be happy when….” are all too common. If people focus too much on big life events and not enough on day to day experiences, happiness is only short lived.
Examples of day to day experiences could be:
- enjoying a good cup of coffee
- helping someone else
- learning something new
- making time for a phone call with someone far away
- exploring new areas in your neighbourhood
- being fully present with your children
- having a nice family dinner
- going for a run (or any other sport)
- playing with your pet
- reading a good book
- doing something that is good for you (self-care)
- going for a nice long walk in nature
- planning a special date night, etc.
Did you know that our brains become addicted to feeling good by making others feel good?
The only strategies for long-term happiness are 1) personal growth and 2) contribution.
Can you see why making a difference should be part of your life plan?
Food for Thought:
What will you do differently today?
Please read the article: