Manufacture Your Day by ACKNOWLEDGING THE IMPORTANCE OF PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT
If job expectations, goals and performance standards aren’t clear, job performance will often be questionable.
Why is it so important to have a performance management process?
In a perfect world, management and employees work closely together to plan employee’s objectives and long-term goals. Performance management is a defined process. It is all about continuous communication and feedback between a manager and his/her team members towards their own goals and the achievement of organizational objectives.
It is very important to give and receive feedback if you want to experience personal growth.
Constructive feedback in companies seems to be one of the biggest challenges and here’s why:
- If people have been criticized for a very long time, it is difficult for them to accept feedback. Nobody wants to be criticized but most people want to be helped to get better.
- Many managers don’t recognize the power that well-delivered feedback has.
- If you tell people over and over again what they do wrong, it will diminish their self-confidence and self-worth. Did you know that this is in direct correlation with the net worth of the company?
- Providing Feedback is there for 2 reasons: 1. Tell the person what behaviours and skills you appreciate about him/her so that they know they’re on the right track. 2. Help the person to get better.
- Give 1 improvement suggestion only or it will become overwhelming for the person.
- If you see improvements, tell the person. Why? Acknowledge that you notice their effort and progress.
- Your Intention in the feedback process matters. Do you want to help people to get better or do you want to give them S@!t?
- If you judge people, you limit them.
Some of the best and brightest people will tell you that one of the key elements to their success is ongoing constructive feedback. Why do so many in the corporate world shy away from either giving or receiving feedback? When done correctly, constructive feedback can be extremely rewarding and motivating.
“If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?” – Rumi
See feedback as feeding forward to your success rather than punishment.
Can you see how this will help you to get “polished”?
Food for Thought:
How do you ensure consistency when it comes to giving and receiving feedback?
Contact us via email or phone today by clicking here.
Have you subscribed to my YouTube Channel yet? Click here!